Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Old School Ninja Turtles




Archie Comics is repackaging the first three issues of the TMNT Adventure comic that I did a zillion years ago as a trade paperback. I got to do a new cover for it and it was kind of a trip to take a whack at the more colorful "cowabunga" Turtles again. When I saw the listing I noticed that someone at Archie seems to know his way around Photoshop because along with brightening up my colors, they moved the moon and sky down below the logo. I always prefer to get the chance to make changes myself, but sometimes it's just out of your hands. I thought that I had already made the colors pretty bright and happy for a night scene but whatever ;)
Here's a link to the info in this months Previews order book.

7 comments:

~ tOkKa said...

☻ ☺ ♥ ☺ ☻

Roseangelo said...

Wow, interesting changes. Great piece either way, though!

dark turtle said...

I prefer the darker lighting on your original version. I wonder why the peeps at Archie felt the need to brighten it? Still, it's kickass work, Mike!

Mikey said...

I prefer your version. ;)

This is really fantastic, and I love the way your style seems to draw from every TMNT generation.

Great work!

Michael Dooney said...

It's unavoidable that a little of each generation seeps into my turtle stuff, since I've drawn them through every incarnation.

davis said...

In all honesty, your piece is great, but I understand the choices Archie made.

The big difference in the versions is that one is a work of art while the other is a work of art for material purposes.

Your piece can stand alone as a badass poster that I would undoubtedly dish out dough for. While the other one is book-shelf ready.

Despite the brightness of your colors, they just aren't promotional-material bright. The brighter colors are a necessary evil, so that the books can stand out more.

The moon movement is a good idea, too, because the moon would've stolen the attention of the image away from the logo.

The good news is that their version would be tacky as a poster. Checkmate.

~ tOkKa said...

-->> ..good points.

it would have been nicer if they'd have let Mike handle the design direction of the book as well as the art direction himself.

>v<