I get asked all the time how to improve as an artist. I understand that
people are looking for tricks and shortcuts, but I have looked far and
wide and believe me, there just aren't any. All it takes is lots of
pencil mileage. You learn to draw by drawing, it is a tired slogan but
could not be more true. One thing that will help to keep you on the
right track though is having good teachers. In this day and age, that
doesn't necessarily mean in school. Great teachers can be found online,
in videos, you tube and yes, kids in books. In my opinion there is no
greater fundamental source of strong drawing teaching than there is to
be found in the Andrew Loomis books. I get something out of them every
time I crack them open. Luckily they are all back in print so head on
over to Amazon and order them up...start with Figure Drawing for All
it's Worth if you want to get a taste, but believe me you will want them all.
Today marks a huge event for me and art students (like me!) everywhere....a long lost unpublished additional volume called "I'd Love to Draw" is finally in print. Loomis prepared it during his lifetime but it went unpublished till today. Alex Ross (yes THAT Alex Ross) a big fan of Loomis himself, stepped in and added additional stuff to flesh out the project. I'll be watching the mail box till my copy shows up ;)
Today marks a huge event for me and art students (like me!) everywhere....a long lost unpublished additional volume called "I'd Love to Draw" is finally in print. Loomis prepared it during his lifetime but it went unpublished till today. Alex Ross (yes THAT Alex Ross) a big fan of Loomis himself, stepped in and added additional stuff to flesh out the project. I'll be watching the mail box till my copy shows up ;)

1 comment:
Thanks for the heads up! This is great news!
Post a Comment