Saturday, December 19, 2009

Practice,practice,practice





I think that I've said it before that I am more of a stubborn worker than an artist. I always assumed that drawing would eventually be like handwriting, but alas (or thankfully) it is still challenging. So, in the hope of making my drawing life easier, I practice. I try new tools and media, and draw from life and photos. Life drawing from a model is great but not always feasible, so I've developed an at home version. Using a small laptop and a photo program called Graphic Converter I run a slideshow of figure photos and draw without ever leaving my drawing table ;) I've got a folder full of girlie "reference' photos and I set the program to whatever time limit I want and it will change the photos whether I'm done or not. So the experience is very much like in a figure drawing class, when the model moves, move on to the next drawing. Since I'm not trying to do finished art, I usually set the time in the 2-5 minute range so I am forced to move quickly and just get down whatever I can. Charcoal is good for these kinds of fast drawing exercises.

1 comment:

twopinacoladas said...

Cool, I had a drawing class where we were timed to draw the model, drapes among other things. I haven't done much drawing for a while other than the odd turtle sketches.

I actually enjoyed the class and was improving however I have fallen back into old habbits and haven't spent time at it. Cool system you have.